Thursday, September 06, 2007

Blogging or talking

I know I'm not finished yet, but so far I can reflect that blogging live from conference makes me pay much more attention to speakers than is my common practice.

Being able to touch type I don't need to look at the key board, so I can pay attention and capture the words and my immediate response to them, to come back to later to add the reflective element to the process.

Unlike Kathy Trinder who said on her blog:

One thing I have realised today abut blogging at a conference (and this blog was by way of an experiment) is that it's very difficult (for me anway) to 'take notes' in a linear format. I usually scribble bits and draw arrows and circle and things, and you can't do that in text entry, either on the notebook or pda. Even on a tablet the lag behind drawing on screen with a stylus and what you've scribed appearing on screen is too great. The technology has not yet caught up with our needs.
Clearly I do liner process as when I've been forced to paper notes they flow down the page like a set of bullet points., probably evidence of a lack of creativity.

Is the process of blogging anti-social? Well not in sessions me thinks, but I love this post by David Bryson, which shows pictures of many people at ALT ignoring each other and loving their PCs :-) He has captured this really well.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Niall Watts said...

I found live blogging difficult. I prefer to take notes on paper and then summarise and (attempt to) reflect. Blogging in real time does not give me an overview. It's physically awkward in a crowded lecture theatre with a laptop on your knee and people on either side.

Thursday, September 06, 2007 11:47:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting Niall,

I think my view is that it was great for capturing the ideas as they come in. I guess their is a seperate process of filtering them, if you wish to. But having done it for a number of sessions, I found it worked better for me than did taking lots of notes and trying to blog later. I guess being able to read my own writing would help with that :-)

Thursday, September 06, 2007 1:36:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't see why a Bluetooth enabled camera can't capture any diagrams from stage which can be uploaded automatically to a blog nowadays!

Thursday, September 06, 2007 4:58:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Mohammed, it will work in practice, but I guess it might be challenging to get close enough to read some of the images. While I love text based blogging I'm not so capable with pictures :-)

Thanks for a mention on your Pathfinder blog.

Friday, September 07, 2007 8:25:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home